Monday 23 November 2015

365 days on... a summary


A Prologue

Well lovely people, it's been 365 days since my last blog post, and here I am again putting pen to paper (so to speak). I felt it was more, or less, about time to give you a proper update on my journey! To be perfectly honest... I have been wracking my brain (and everybody elses) for weeks knowing the 365 day mark was looming, and wondering how in the helly hell am I supposed to fit a whole bloody year into one decent piece of writing for you?!

How should I structure this? Week by week? Month by month? By country? Should I do it over several posts? Can I trust myself to write on a regular basis... hmm. I knew I should  have done this writing thing on a monthly basis! Stupid past Hollie making more work for me! Present Hollie would never do a thing like that! (Or would she? Future Hollie will let you know when we're here again next year!)
     So right now I'm having moments of writing a sentence and deleting the sentence.... writing a sentence and taking another five minutes to write the next sentence... Hmm, maybe I'm making this more complectated than it should be? Surely it's not that hard to tell you all what I've been up to! Surely it's just a case of telling you where I've been, what I've seen, who I've met, how I've changed,  how I've  felt, the highlights, the low times, the places I fell in love with, the surprises, the adventures... Oh who am I kidding... This is complicated and going to be difficult! But for you my dears, (my wonderful friends and family, and anyone else who happens to stumble across here) it will be worth it. Hey, if I can abseil down a 25 metre high gushing water fall and jump the last 7 meters or jump out of an airplane at 1500 feet over Mount Doom (Yeah I did! But, more on those later I suppose!) I should be able to put a few letters down for you and make it an interesting read while I'm at it right? As a wise Jedi once said "There is no try, there is only do." So I will "do"! Straight after I've finished my coffee and been for a wee...

Where to start?

I suppose a good place to start is to tell you where I am right now... About 5 months ago I finally found myself in the land where The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit were born (the second time round). This is after 2 weeks in Qatar, nearly 4 months in Cambodia, 3 weeks in Vietnam, 3 weeks in Malaysia, 4 weeks in Thailand and a week hopping off in Melbourne, Australia. That's right, New Zealand baby! I finally made it after all those years of talking about it and wondering about it and thinking about it, I made it. Me?! The crazy dog lady, who one day found herself without her perfect doggy shaped shadow, made it. And it's taken over a year but I'm actually starting to be a little bit proud of myself, and, beginning to understand what people meant when they told me that I was brave for doing this.
    Last year, (Ha ha, "last" year... I still cannot quite believe it's been a year!) I silently hated it when people would tell me "you're brave". I'm my head I used to ask "brave? For what?! Brave for quitting probably the best job I would have ever had? Brave for abandoning my awesome sister and wonderful twin nephews? Brave for leaving my home and my friends? Brave for being selfish?!" I had everything I could possibly want, I was lucky. I had wonderful loving people around me, and I was going to turn my back on them and leave them all! Brave, pfft, more like a foolish pleb!
    Yes, this time last year my emotions were in turmoil, the present Hollie is now not bothered to admit that I cried... a lot... Quite frankly I did feel selfish (and stupid) for leaving, and I didn't feel brave at all!! But, everyone was telling me I was doing the right thing, everyone was telling me that they wished they'd had the courage to do what I was going to do, everyone was telling me to go and that it would be the best thing I had ever decided to do! People would also say that this would change me... Pfft! Change me!? I didn't even really know what this could mean because I believed I was fortunate enough to have known "who" I was, what I stood for and what my morels were. I wouldn't change, I couldn't change, I had no room to change! I was already comfortable with my self and happy with my views and outlook on life and other people. Change, yeah right! 

Well, I love to have been proven wrong because, in this case guys, you were all absolutely right! 
    
The last 365 days have been an absolute blast, I was brave for quitting my job, I was brave sticking to my plan, I was brave to leave my friends and family and go away all on my lonesome, not really knowing what I was going to see or do. Not really knowing what was going to happen.  I now know that when people said the words "you will change" they didn't mean it in such an ominous and drastic way or with the image of thunder and lighthing in the background when they said it. They weren't being negative... They didn't mean your personality will change and your views will change. What they really meant was you will grow, you will see and will do things that will allow you to find out what your priorities are and find out what truly matters. 
    I suppose part of me knew they would be right, however I was ever so slightly worried (as I imagine my sister was too) that I would change into some preechy, hippy, Buddhist, harem trouser wearing, fire dancing, adrenaline loving, dreadlocked smelly backpacker (not that there's anything wrong with this of course, peace and love to all you types listed above out there!)  But, one year on and I am happy to say that I HAVE changed! However, I would just like to make it clear that I still have short hair, I wash regularly, and although I do love some of the ideals behind Buddhism I have not converted! But... I do own a pair of those harem trousers, they are in fact bright blue and, incredible comfy!! But dont worry dear sister, I don't go outside in them! Now, fundamentally, I do feel the same, but I feel more solid... ha ha, I won't bore you with the ins and outs of how I've "changed" but yeah, it's all good baby! 

Throughout my journey so far, when people have asked me why I'm doing this whole travelling malarkey my answer has been "It's simple! I want stories to tell when I am an old lady." And this is still my motivation, and I think it's a good one. 

So 365 days, 8 flights, 7 countries and many boat trips later, I find myself in a little New Zealand town called Taupo. 
    Taupo, the place I have called home for the last 4 months. Taupo, home to the largest lake in New Zealand (you could fit the whole of Singapore in it!). Home to the best view of  a beautiful mountain range and Mount Nguaruhoe... or to my fellow nerds... Mount Doom! Wow, what a beautiful bloody place. Landscapes so stunning. Water so clean and clear (and chuffing, blooming, buggering cold! I went swimming in it for the first time the other day... HOLY MOLY! Let's just say, nipples so hard they could have cut glass... very neatly! Gosh!). But this place... it fills up your soul! I love it. I couldn't have picked a better place to stay and work. 
    I have made some cracking friends here, and I've never felt alone or unsupported. I have met some really good people on my travels. By the way, I am totally down with this backpacker thing in that I'm working two jobs! But don't worry, I'm not working too hard by any means. 
    My first job is paid (just about... minimum wage is shockingly shocking here!). I'm working in a classy yet funky cafe right on the lake front. They type of place where if I had a New Zealand Dollar for every time a customer said to me "wow, you're so lucky to work here" I would be fairly rich! My other job is a work for accommodation arrangement... "The names Hollie, and I'm the night porter around these parts" (hopefully you read that in a husky yet dramatic tone of voice!) For some people, this job would be torture because I have to be present in the hostel between 10pm and 7.45am every night. I have to clean the dining area, do late check-ins, tell people to stop being rowdy and inconsiderate plonkers... open the kitchen at 4.30am. HOWEVER, this means I get my own private, ensuite flat with a kitchenette and TV... and most of all, A DOUBLE BED! All to myself! After 8 months of hotels and hostels, having my own little place where I can wonder around butt naked and cook (not necessarily at the same time mind you! Ooo, cheeky!) is a little bit of luxury. And I'm quite happy to sacrifice late night piss ups for nights in cooking up a storm and catching up on TV and films I have missed over that last few months. Yes! Backpacker, traveler or not! I'm a foodie TV junkie, and I love it! So, yes, Taupo? Good choice past Hollie!


As I'm writing, the sun is setting in the west, to my right (yes, turns out the sun sets on the same side, even though I'm upside down on the other side of the world, who knew?!). With the dark, clean lake in front of me, it's mountains and hills surrounding it, their pastel pink and grey silhouettes in the distance, their edges and lines definite against the pink red sky. The air is cold, but fresh and clean. It's beautiful. I feel lucky. I am in awe at this world and the people on it, and I still can't quite believe I'm here doing this. Travelling. It's pretty cool. And my adventure is no quite over yet...

I can't wait to see what the next year will have in store for me! I plan on seeing this country in detail, and shortly I will have a partner in crime! My bestie is coming to join me, and I can't wait! So here's to the next chapter! YEYAH! 

So, what of this blogging business?

Well, I have decided to write about my experiences in a "This time last year" type format, or if the mood takes me. Yes. Present Hollie is confident she can commit herself to blogging regularly. Screw you Past Hollie! Come on future Hollie, you can do this! (Turns out travelling alone puts you in the habit of talking to yourself... and now, apparently writing to yourself!) Anyhoo! This time last year, in a week, I would have more or less been on my way to Kampuchea, or Cambodia- The Kingdom of Wonder. And my oh my... it was more amazing than I could have ever imagined. That place will always have a part of my heart, and I can't wait to tell you all about it... 

So, until next time. 
Be kind, have courage and Love x







No comments:

Post a Comment